Writing for U.S. News & World Report, Lynn F. Jacobs and Jeremy S. Hyman offer helpful pointers for college students seeking to earn degrees in engineering. To an extent, these would be helpful for college students in any major. Here’s the list:
1. Identify the people who inspire you, and find out what makes them tick.
2. Develop a portfolio of projects.
3. Learn the value of networking.
4. Work in teams as much as you can.
5. Seek informal leadership roles.
6. Find your flaws—and fix them.
7. Take a business class.
8. Take design and other humanities classes.
9. Make your summers productive.
10. Recruit and develop your personal board of directors.
See the article for an explanation of each point.
HT: Ray Landis